Is Scientology the same as Christian Science?
No, the two are not related in any way, shape, or form.
Christian Science is Christian (based entirely on the healing example and teachings of Christ Jesus), Bible-based, and teaches one universal and infinite God.
What is Christian Science?
Christian Science is Christian, but it’s more than a religion or a denomination—it’s a scientific system of healing disease and a way of living. This Christian Science teaches people how to utilize God’s law of harmony through prayer, based on the healing ministry and example of Christ Jesus. Christian Science is scientific because this healing system is governed by an actual, spiritual law of health and well-being — the divine Principle, God. This Principle, divine Love, is the source of this eternal and infinite law of good. This divine law is applicable to everyone, anywhere, at anytime, and it provides a reliable, sanitary, and divinely based solution that is practical in any situation.
Visit ChristianScience.com for a full explanation of Christian Science:
What’s the basis of Christian Science?
The basis is of Christian Science is Christ Jesus’ teachings — his words and healing works. The Bible and Science and Health with key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy serve as the textbooks for understanding Christian Science and how to put Jesus’ teachings into a daily, healing practice. These two books work together by showing each of us how to understand God better from a spiritual and inspired perspective so that we can learn to be Christian healers. They also serve as the basis for all learning, teaching, and healing through Christian Science, as well as the Pastor of every Christian Science church world-wide.
How did Christian Science get discovered?
In 1866 Mary Baker Eddy discovered Christian Science. Mrs. Eddy made her discovery at a critical point in her life when she faced the appearance of certain death after she slipped on the ice in Lynn, Massachusetts. Diagnosed with life-threatening injuries, Eddy wasn’t expected to live through the night. As she usually did, Eddy turned to her Bible for inspiration and her eyes landed on a healing by Jesus. The inspiration that came after reading the account resulted in Eddy’s immediate healing. In fact, friends had come to say their goodbyes, expecting her to die. Instead, to their amazement, Eddy got out of bed, dressed, and walked out of her room to greet them. Her health was completely restored. Soon after this experience a doctor encouraged Eddy to document her discovery in a manuscript. She did so over several years, and eventually published the first edition of her primary work Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures in 1875. To see a more in-depth answer to this question, please visit ChristianScience.com/what-is-christian-science
What are the tenets of Christian Science?
The tenets of Christian Science can be found in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures on page 497:
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through ChristJesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in ChristJesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
Can anyone heal through Christian Science?
The book Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy offers a complete explanation on mental healing through prayer, mental treatment, and is the authority on the subject. By studying this book and putting its Christian, Bible-based principles into practice it’s possible for you to understand how prayer and God’s power are effective in healing both disease and sin.
So, simply put — yes, anyone can heal through Christian Science.